Sunday, October 5, 2014

Meet Kenny Keller


To start off I am a small town country guy. I grew up west of Kalispell where I was somewhat secluded from the real world as far as diversity goes. I was left to wander the property and find joy in the forest around my house. That’s where I found nature to be my medication.

Going into the photo shoot I was extremely nervous. I have always had an interest in male modeling but never felt that I was going to be good enough to do so. I always looked at the models in magazines and was infatuated with their styles, body postures and their physique. Although coming from Kila that was a dream far from where I live. Would being gay just add fire to the whole situation if I decided to move away to follow a dream?  So I kept the thought in my head “Would I ever get the chance to be one of those guys in a magazine?” Not likely.

About 20 minutes into the shoot I felt that as if I was having one of my dreams come true. I felt very comfortable and tuned into the whole shoot. I just knew the entire time that this is going to a good cause “Awareness.” The whole time I could feel myself getting more comfortable with my body and not being ashamed of who I am.

Afterwards I am no longer embarrassed of where I come from or what others think of me. I have had self-discovery with old and new friends that have definitely opened my eyes that I’m not alone. I’m more active and social. I wouldn’t be where I am today without  the help of a huge support group.

So what have I learned from this whole experience? I’ve learned that I am a unique individual who is loved by family, friends, nieces and nephews. To quote the amazing Lady Gaga “I was born this way.”  I am Kenneth Keller and I am a small town country guy who just happens to be gay, and PROUD.

2 comments:

  1. Im so proud of you Kenny for following your dreams. Stay true and don't forget us Kila country bumpkins. Much love

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a beautiful soul Kenny! Great article as well. Much love

    ReplyDelete